Galatians 6:10 says, that as we have the opportunity, let us continue to do good unto all men, especially the household of faith.
- “If a window of opportunity appears, don’t pull down the shade.” Tom Peters
I don’t know about you, but I keep looking for opportunities to witness, pray and share with people and bring God into the conversation. In my second book that I am currently 2/3 finished writing, I am dedicating a chapter to experiences by friends like you who have had an opportunity, and then took it to advance the Kingdom of God with a total stranger. I can’t wait for you to read the many testimonies by others who love to see God open great Opportunities for them. You can still submit your story too.
And to be honest, I have let way too many opportunities pass me by, so I am intentional about this and can’t wait to see what doors God will open next.
- “The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” Winston Churchill
- Recently while visiting a local Panera Bread Restaurant here in my area, I engaged the young lady clerk behind the counter in some conversation and after hearing some of her story, I asked her if there was anything I could pray for her about, and she listed a couple of things, so I just stopped, and prayed right then – and afterwards, she responded over and over about how much she really needed that prayer.
- A few days prior to that I was in front a hotel in Salina, Kansas and I saw a man standing near the door, so I struck up a conversation with him, and found out he was a greyhound bus driver from Kansas City and as we discussed his day and part of his life, I asked him if I could pray for him, and he said yes, do I laid my hand on his shoulder and prayed for his job, and his family and his finances, and afterwards he vigorously shook my hand thanking me repeatedly and sharing that I did not know how much he needed that prayer.
- Later that same day, I met a man who was a regional rep for Braum’s Ice-Cream and after a time of sharing, I offered to pray for him, and later that evening, he told me that his daughter was going into pre-mature labor at home in Arkansas, and asked if I would pray again for her and the baby, so I prayed again. The next morning he met me again and thanked me several times for the prayers the night before.
- Recently at a Subway restaurant in a small town, I was visiting with the lady who was making my sandwich, and was looking for an opportunity to bring God up into the conversation, and when I found it, I asked her if I could pray for her, and she responded that she really needed it, so I prayed for her and her jobs and her family, and then told her about a local church that I was ministering at, and the next week the leaders from that church told me that the lady from Subway visited that church for the first time, and later came back and helped with some music too.
This is what the Kingdom is all about. Just reaching out and helping others and getting them in touch with Jesus.
I actually need prayer for a couple of things myself. Can you jump in on this opportunity?
I have a persistent cough now for a couple of weeks after a cold, but I can’t quite shake it. Please pray for healing. Also, finances are not where they should be and this is partly due to Diane not having a teaching job this year, so would you please pray that giving increases to the point where it needs to be for us. As I frequently tell pastors and leaders, I am not trying to make a killing but I am trying to make a living.
Would you also consider printing this article and the schedule below and praying for my upcoming and scheduled ministry opportunities? Some are paid and some are not, but all are important and there are people of various ages, expecting an encounter from God, and I want to help them. Your prayers often make the difference. Thanks
3/29-4/1 – Driving 1300 miles round trip to help a smaller rural church have a great Easter. Jason and I are preparing a power point service with worship, responses, preaching, prayer ministry and more at Lighthouse Fellowship, Hugoton, KS.
4/2 – Middle School Chapel, Life Gate School, Omaha, NE
4/5-4/8 – Spirit of Christ Church and Michigan IHOP at Michigan State University, Lansing, MI
4/9 – Middle School Chapel, Life Gate School, Omaha, NE
4/12-4/13 – Conference Speaker for Nebraska State Aglow Conference, Kearny, NE
4/18 – Middle School and High School Chapel, Cornerstone Christian School, Bellevue, NE
4/19 – Kingdom Encounter, Bellevue, NE
4/25-28 – Refreshing Spring Ministries, Houston, TX
I hope you have the best Easter and Resurrection Sunday ever. Remember, The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances. ~Robert Flatt
Leonard Ravenhill use to say, “The opportunity of a lifetime must be seized within the lifetime of the opportunity.” And you never know who might be listening. One time while witnessing on an airplane to the person sitting next to me, I got to a point where I thought they might want some prayer to get right or tight with God, so I offered to pray with that person, and just as I was about to pray, someone from behind me tapped me on the shoulder, so I looked back to see what was going on and the person sitting behind me simply asked if they could be included in that prayer. Isn’t that amazing! You never know how God might work in a certain situation, but if you pull the shade down on the window of opportunity, you will never know.
Another time that I was sharing on an airplane with my seat mate, he ended up buying me a round trip ticket to Honolulu Hawaii…what if I had pulled down the shade down on that conversation before it even started? Go ahead – take the risk and see what God might do. You may just be surprised at how easy it is to share with someone, and maybe, just maybe a great blessing might come back to you too – perhaps even a free trip to Hawaii.
Warmly and Sincerely,
Jay W. West
Anointed 2 GO MdM
Reblogged this on greystew and commented:
Good stuff from my friend Jay.
I create opportunities everyday by answering the standard question, “How are you to today?” by saying “I’m blessed just as you are.” Some just shrug, others chuckle, but several say I am blessed. Some have even gone on to tell me of their blessings and what Jesus is doing in their life. Some say I need a blessing and I pray with them.
Rev. Dr. Ray Schiefelbein
That’s awesome Pastor Ray – keep it up my friend!